Delightful end to the season for Schrötter & emotional farewell for Arbolino
With a ninth place in the re-started 16-lap Valencia-final, Marcel Schrötter ended the 2021 season on the Moto2 World Championship as tenth overall. For Tony Arbolino, it was time to farewell the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team after a difficult weekend.
It had been a long time since the grandstands were as full of spectators as they were at this year's season finale at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit in Valencia. The atmosphere was reminiscent of old times and made for a promising last show of the year.
The second place in the warm-up gave Marcel Schrötter additional confidence after a previously strong Saturday. Starting from row five, luck was on the German's side this time as he just managed to avoid a three-bike crash in turn two, involving Marco Bezzecchi, Lorenzo Baldassarri, and Xavi Vierge. The race was stopped and restarted shortly after as a 16-lap sprint race.
This time, the 28-year-old got away even better, made up some positions, and was part of the large leading group for quite some time. After he was able to leave Tom Lüthi behind, who was not easy to pass at his last career start, he went from position seven to ninth behind Sam Lowes and Jorge Navarro. With a gap of less than eight seconds to the winner Raul Fernandez and one place ahead of the newly crowned World Champion Remy Gardner, Marcel Schrötter was able to end the season on a conciliatory note with another top ten result, and with 98 points as the World Championship tenth!
For Tony Arbolino, a turbulent rookie season ended today. The 21-year-old ventured into the Moto2 class with the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team and had to go through a tough learning year. He finished within the points eight times and raced to fourth place at Le Mans, leaving the Memmingen-based racing team in 14th place overall with 51 points. After a difficult Valencia finish, the Italian bid an emotional farewell to the Intact GP family in 23rd place, wishing him all the best for his future!
For the LIQUI MOLY Intact GP team, an intense season comes to an end in 7th place in the Team World Championship standings.
1. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX
2. Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO / ITA / KALEX
3. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX
9. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX
23. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX
1. Augusto FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'35.525
2. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'35.573 (+0.048)
3. Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO / ITA / KALEX - 1'35.656 (+0.131)
26. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'36.816 (+1.291)
World Championship Standings:
1. GARDNER Remy / AUS / 311
2. FERNANDEZ Raul / SPA / 307
3. BEZZECCHI Marco / ITA / 214
4. LOWES Sam / GBR / 190
5. FERNANDEZ Augusto / SPA / 174
6. CANET Aron / SPA / 164
7. DI GIANNANTONIO Fabio / ITA / 161
8. OGURA Ai / JPN / 120
9. NAVARRO Jorge / SPA / 106
10. SCHROTTER Marcel / GER / 98
11. VIERGE Xavi / SPA / 93
12. VIETTI Celestino / ITA / 89
13. ROBERTS Joe / USA / 59
14. ARBOLINO Tony / ITA / 51
15. BEAUBIER Cameron / USA / 50
1. RED BULL KTM AJO / 618
2. ELF MARC VDS RACING TEAM / 364
3. SKY RACING TEAM VR46 / 303
4. INDE ASPAR TEAM / 192
5. FEDERAL OIL GRESINI MOTO2 / 173
6. IDEMITSU HONDA TEAM ASIA / 157
7. LIQUI MOLY INTACT GP / 149
8. PETRONAS SPRINTA RACING / 123
9. TERMOZETA SPEED UP / 119
10. AMERICAN RACING / 89
11. ITALTRANS RACING TEAM / 74
12. PERTAMINA MANDALIKA SAG TEAM / 73
13. FLEXBOX HP40 / 56
14. MV AGUSTA FORWARD RACING / 19
15. NTS RW RACING GP / 11