Front row for Schrötter and row two for Lüthi in Rio Hondo
Just a blink of an eye behind the pole, Marcel Schrötter qualified for the second starting position on Saturday in Argentina. Tom Lüthi just slipped from the row one and secured fifth place on the grid for the second Grand Prix of the year.
The Termas de Rio Hondo Circuit presented itself on qualifying day in cloudy skies but with humid warm temperatures.
Once again both Dynavolt Intact GP riders were able to make the direct step into Qualifying 2. While Tom Lüthi finished the morning session in third place, Marcel Schrötter had to fear a little for his Q2 participation after a small crash, but was finally on the safe side in 13th position.
Later in the afternoon the Intact GP pair was once again hot candidates for the pole position during the 15-minute qualifying session. Only four minutes before the end Marcel Schrötter was occupying the second and Tom Lüthi the third position.
With a final attack, Marcel Schrötter with his time of 1'42.737 was only 0,011 seconds away from his former teammate and today's pole-setter Xavi Vierge. Nevertheless, the joy was great, as the 26-year-old has again the best chances for a podium fight in Argentina from starting position two.
Tom Lüthi was pushed from the front row to fifth place by Sam Lowes and Alex Marquez only at the very last moment. With just a tenth of a second behind and a convincing pace, the Swiss from row two still has an excellent starting position for another catch up in tomorrow's 23-lap race.
Race start for the Gran Premio de la República Argentina will be 13:20 local time. According to the weather forecast, there is a rain probability of 40% for Sunday.
1. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'42.815
2. Luca MARINI / ITA / KALEX - 1'42.825 (+0.010)
3. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'42.843 (+0.028)
13. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'43.248 (+0.433)
1. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'42.726
2. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'42.737 (+0.011)
3. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 1'42.738 (+0.012)
4. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'42.773 (+0.047)
5. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'42.856 (+0.130)
6. Brad BINDER / RSA / KTM - 1'42.873 (+0.147)