Getting to know the Chang International Circuit
The Dynavolt Intact GP riders Marcel Schrötter and Xavi Vierge completed the first laps in Thailand on a hot and humid Friday and finished the super-tight opening practices on positions nine and twelve.
As expected, the conditions on day one in the Thai inland were extremely sudorific. Not as expected, however, was that the Chang International Circuit doesn't appear as easy as it might seem on paper. In addition, the times of the Moto2 field are extremely close together and thus each of the 12 corners, which sometimes require hard braking and on the other hand smooth turning, must be ridden almost perfectly.
The two Intact GP Kalex riders took the first obstacle to build a rhythm for the new track in the calendar well. At the end of the day, Marcel Schrötter finished ninth with 1'37.379 and only half a second behind the leader, Mattia Pasini. Xavi Vierge followed just behind in 12th place with a time of 1'37.579.
For Saturday, both crews already have some ideas on how they can improve on the track in Buriram.
1. Mattia PASINI / ITA / KALEX - 1'37.757
2. Miguel OLIVEIRA / POR / KTM - 1'37.850 (+0.093)
3. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'37.923 (+0.166)
12. Marcel SCHRÖTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'38.160 (+0.403)
18. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'38.369 (+0.612)
1. Mattia PASINI / ITA / KALEX - 1'36.839
2. Francesco BAGNAIA / ITA / KALEX - 1'36.981 (+0.142)
3. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'37.137 (+0.298)
9. Marcel SCHRÖTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'37.379 (+0.540)
12. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'37.579 (+0.740)