Good feeling on a rainy Friday in Valencia
A positive opening day for the Dynavolt Intact GP riders at the final Grand Prix weekend of the 2018 season. In the rain of Valencia, Marcel Schrötter and Xavi Vierge took seventh and twelfth place in the combined standings.
As predicted, rain was pouring over the Ricardo Tormo Circuit in Cheste on Friday, leaving plenty of water on the tarmac during the two free practice sessions of the Valencia weekend. For the Intact GP Kalex riders Marcel Schrötter and Xavi Vierge, however, the adverse conditions were not a big problem.
Marcel Schrötter set his fastest time of the day in the morning, finishing seventh overall. With used rain tyres, the 25-year-old was able to build up a good feeling on the wet track and is now confident for Saturday, should the weather be similar.
Xavi Vierge experimented with a new set-up in the morning, but together with his crew they soon realized that it had to go in a different direction. In the second session of the day, the Spaniard immediately gained more confidence and finished the afternoon in fifth position, only three tenths of a second away from the top. In the combined time list of both sessions, the 21-year-old took the twelfth place.
1. Iker LECUONA / SPA / KTM - 1'46.705
2. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'47.503 (+0.798)
3. Miguel OLIVEIRA / POR / KTM - 1'47.617 (+0.912)
7. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'47.989 (+1.284)
12. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'48.521 (+1.816)
1. Iker LECUONA / SPA / KTM - 1'48.695
2. Niki TUULI / FIN / KALEX - 1'48.772 (+0.077)
3. Lorenzo BALDASSARRI / ITA / KALEX - 1'48.914 (+0.219)
5. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'49.031 (+0.336)
20. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'50.127 (+1.432)