Schrötter back in front row in Aragon
After an exciting Qualifying for the Grand Prix of Aragon, Marcel Schrötter was happy about the second place and therefore his fifth front row of the year! Xavi Vierge tackles his home race from row four.
It was almost the same scenario as two weeks ago in Misano. Friday's fastest, finishing second in free practice and second in qualifying. Today though, Marcel Schrötter almost certainly had the pole position in the pocket until the end. At least until the last lap of the 45-minute session on another hot day in MotorLand.
The Bavarian occupied the first place from beginning thanks to his first flying lap, which he later improved on his second exit. With 1:53.223 he was just ahead of Jorge Navarro and it seemed like no one else could break the time of the 25 year-old, especially in the last sector. Only Brad Binder managed to put himself in front of the Intact GP rider in the last minute with only 0.074 seconds lead.
Xavi Vierge made a good start into the qualifying on the 5.1 kilometer circuit and, like his team-mate, set a very fast time right in his first flying lap. However, during the session, he did not succeed in improving his lap of 1'53.676 after getting traction problems. The Spaniard dropped back to 12th position, but only half a second behind the top, where he wants to be part of in tomorrow's 21-lap race.
1. Alex MARQUEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'53.319
2. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'53.332 (+0.013)
3. Mattia PASINI / ITA / KALEX - 1'53.363 (+0.044)
19. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'54.111 (+0.792)
1. Brad BINDER / RSA / KTM - 1'53.149
2. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'53.223 (+0.074)
3. Jorge NAVARRO / SPA / KALEX - 1'53.257 (+0.108)
12. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'53.676 (+0.527)