Schrötter third in the dry & Vierge fast in the rain of Spielberg
Marcel Schrötter finished the Friday at the Red Bull Ring in Austria as third fastest, while teammate Xavi Vierge landed in 20th place, but was then strong in the rainy afternoon.
The Friday at the Grand Prix of Austria started with a partly cloudy sky and ended with quite heavy rain showers.
For Marcel Schrötter, both conditions weren't an issue. During the first practice sessions, the 25-year-old was working on his rhythm at the Red Bull Ring, where he last raced two years ago. At the end he scored the third place with a gap of only 0.081 seconds and a time of 1'30.522. Lighter and stronger rain showers alternately impacted the afternoon session. It was all about the right timing. Finally, the Intact GP rider managed to build up a solid feeling in the wet and reached the 16th place.
Teammate Xavi Vierge began the weekend as usual by working on his race pace and he was less concerned about making just one quick lap. Thus, he was in 20th place at the end of the day, although with his time of 1'31.095 he was only half a second away from Marcel. The 21-year-old was then quick in the rain. After a few laps, he gained more and more confidence on the wet track and finally stormed to sixth place.
1. Francesco BAGNAIA / ITA / KALEX - 1'30.441
2. Lorenzo BALDASSARRI / ITA / KALEX - 1'30.504 (+0.0639
3. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'30.522 (+0.081)
20. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'31.095 (+0.654)
1. Steven ODENDAAL / RSA / NTS - 1'43.344
2. Joe ROBERTS / USA / NTS - 1'43.577 (+0.233)
3. Luca MARINI / ITA / KALEX - 1'43.583 (+0.239)
6. Xavi VIERGE / SPA / KALEX - 1'43.887 (+0.543)
16. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'44.984 (+1.640)