Arbolino races to eleventh place in Doha, bad luck for Schrötter
With an excellent 11th place in only his second Moto2 race, Tony Arbolino ensured a positive conclusion to three exciting weeks in Qatar, while LIQUI MOLY IntactGP team-colleague Marcel Schrötter, unfortunately, crashed out of the Doha Grand Prix through no fault of his own.
In the second race of the season and thus also his second race in Moto2, Tony Arbolino almost inexorably overtook one competitor after the other. From position 20 on the grid, the rookie temporarily caught up to tenth position.
On his way, he pushed non-stop in a large group and launched permanent attacks on the rivals in front of him. In the end, the Italian crossed the finish line in eleventh position, just 1.5 seconds behind fifth place.
As the second-fastest in the warm-up, Marcel Schrötter got the extra boost he needed to start yet another catch-up race in the Doha Grand Prix, just like last week. This time, however, the plan didn't quite work out, although the 28-year-old had found the good feeling in the race that he was previously missing in qualifying.
When he caught up to Jake Dixon in 14th position on lap 13, the Englishman fell in a fast corner directly in front of Marcel Schrötter, who was much too close to react or evade. The Intact GP rider crashed straight into Dixon's bike and went down in the gravel as well. Fortunately, he did not suffer any major injuries, but these zero points are of course rather upsetting.
Marcel Schrötter and Tony Arbolino will be back on track in only two weeks' time, when the Grand Premio de Portugal takes place from April 16th to 18th.
1. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX
3. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX
11. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX
NC Marcel SCHROTTER/ GER/ KALEX
1. Marco BEZZECCHI / ITA / KALEX - 1'59.821
2. Marcel SCHROTTER/ GER/ KALEX - 1'59.939 (+0.118)
3. Remy GARDNER/ AUS/ KALEX - 1'59.964 (+0.143)
21. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 2'00.788 (+0.967)
World Championship Standings:
1. LOWES Sam / GBR / 50
2. GARDNER Remy / AUS / 40
3. FERNANDEZ Raul / SPA / 27
4. BEZZECCHI Marco / ITA / 26
5. DI GIANNANTONIO Fabio / ITA / 22
6. VIETTI Celestino / ITA / 13
7. FERNANDEZ Augusto / SPA / 12
8. OGURA Ai / JPN / 11
9. BENDSNEYDER Bo / NED / 11
10. ROBERTS Joe / USA / 10
11. DIXON Jake / GBR / 9
12. NAVARRO Jorge / SPA / 9
13. MANZI Stefano / ITA / 8
14. SCHROTTER Marcel / GER / 8
15. VIERGE Xavi / SPA / 7
16. ARBOLINO Tony / ITA / 5
1. RED BULL KTM AJO / 67
2. ELF MARC VDS RACING TEAM / 62
3. SKY RACING TEAM VR46 / 39
4. FEDERAL OIL GRESINI MOTO2 / 22
5. PETRONAS SPRINTA RACING / 16
6. LIQUI MOLY INTACT GP / 13
7. ITALTRANS RACING TEAM / 12
8. PERTAMINA MANDALIKA SAG TEAM / 12
9. IDEMITSU HONDA TEAM ASIA / 11
10. MB CONVEYORS SPEED UP / 9
11. FLEXBOX HP40 / 8
12. AMERICAN RACING / 5
13. SOLUNION ASPAR TEAM / 4