Challenging Friday on the Portimao roller coaster track
The LIQUI MOLY Intact GP duo ended the first day in Portimao with different impressions. While Marcel Schrötter secured ninth place, Tony Arbolino in P27 was still struggling with his front feeling on the Algarve International Circuit.
By claiming fourth place in the first practice session on Friday morning, Marcel Schrötter achieved his goal of building upon his pace from Qatar. In the afternoon, the track felt strangely different, but the 28-year-old was again good at it and pushed through every lap. With his final attempt, everything fit together and so the Intact GP rider finished the opening day in ninth position. With his time of 1'43.894, only 0.14 seconds were missing to the top 3, which implies he's having a good basis for tomorrow's qualifying day.
Tony Arbolino, on the other hand, had a difficult Friday in Portugal. The Moto2 rookie, who is extremely motivated to repeat his Qatar success in Portimao, was held back by a few difficulties on day one. The Italian and his experienced crew want to get the feeling right for the front tyre in order to be ready for Qualifying, even if that means starting the setup work from scratch.
1. Joe ROBERTS / USA / KALEX - 1'43.905
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'43.946 (+0.041)
3. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'44.049 (+0.144)
4. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'44.275 (+0.370)
23. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'45.542 (+1.637)
1. Joe ROBERTS / USA / KALEX - 1'43.144
2. Raul FERNANDEZ / SPA / KALEX - 1'43.461 (+0.317)
3. Aron CANET / SPA / BOSCOSCURO - 1'43.752 (+0.608)
9. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'43.894 (+0.750)
27. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 1'45.053 (+1.909)