Schrötter & Arbolino couldn’t use all their potential in Doha qualifying
The LIQUI MOLY Intact GP riders Marcel Schrötter and Tony Arbolino experienced a difficult qualifying day in Qatar and will now have to tackle the Doha Grand Prix from positions 16 and 20.
On Saturday, strong wind and a lot of sand made the conditions at the Losail International Circuit even more difficult.
Marcel Schrötter didn't feel as comfortable on his Intact GP-Kalex as he did in the days before and tried to face the sandstorm in a strong group in Q2 qualifying. But several position-changes and constantly interrupted laps by his opponents destroyed all rhythm and pace.
With a 2'00.108, the 28-year-old finally finished one second off consecutive pole-setter, Sam Lowes, in 16th place, which means row six for the second race of the season. Tomorrow, Marcel Schrötter will have to fight his way through the field again as far as possible.
To get used to the new class, the Qatar schedule is far from ideal for a rookie. Different conditions in each session make it almost impossible to try any set-up changes. On today's stormy afternoon, Tony Arbolino managed to secure himself the fifth place.
But that wasn't quite enough for Q2, so the 20-year-old had to try to assert himself against some strong competitors in Q1 in order to get into the top four. In the end, in sixth position he was missing just a tenth to reach this goal. For the 20-lap race tomorrow evening, the fast Italian has to line up in 20th position in row seven on the grid and mobilize his fighting spirit once more.
1. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 2'00.878
2. Marco BEZZECCHI / ITA / KALEX - 2'01.021 (+0.143)
3. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 2'01.127 (+0.249)
5. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 2'01.186 (+0.308)
10. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 2'01.528 (+0.650)
1. Jorge NAVARRO / SPA / BOSCOSCURO - 1'59.592
2. Bo BENDSNEYDER / NED / KALEX - 1'59.827 (+0.235)
3. Albert ARENAS / SPA / BOSCOSCURO - 1'59.913 (+0.321)
4. Jake DIXON / GBR / KALEX - 1'59.987 (+0.395)
6. Tony ARBOLINO / ITA / KALEX - 2'00.092 (+0.500)
1. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 1'59.055
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'59.192 (+0.137)
3. Marco BEZZECCHI / ITA / KALEX - 1'59.327 (+0.272)
16. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 2'00.108 (+1.053)